Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

Adam


Jill tracked down a copy of this book for me and brought it home. I'm really glad she did.

Adam by Ted Dekker is a rollicking thriller. FBI profiler Daniel Clark is on the track of a serial killer known only as "Eve." Eve is a careful individual who has killed fifteen women. Clark is desperate to stop him. He's obsessed with Eve, to the point that he drove away his wife, Heather.

Then it would appear that Daniel has caught a break: they think they've found Eve's hideout and they might be able to save his sixteenth victim. Only things go awry when Eve shoots and kills Daniel.

Luckily for Daniel, his new partner, Dr. Lori Ames, is able to bring him back. And now Daniel is even more determined to stop him, especially when he learns that Heather's life is on the line.

This was a rollicking good read and I pretty much devoured it over the past couple of days. Like many of Dekker's latest books, it seems to be a little light on spirituality, but that changes in the last quarter of the book.

I'll just add this one last thought: the book that Father Seymour suggests to Heather Clark toward the end of the book, Hostage to the Devil is indeed a real book. I've read it. It scared me half to death, so much so that I could only read four or five pages at a time and in the middle of the day. Fair warning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I pick up maybe 5 to 6 books a year to read, but I got a copy of Kiss by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. It is I have to say a great read. Dekker’s work is always good but with first time author Healy, this book is outstanding. I had to make myself put it down because I was not doing any work at my office (I was getting stares from my coworkers). The website for the book is http://www.thelostkiss.com/buzz

Publisher’s Weekly sums it up like this:
Master of evangelical Christian suspense, Dekker (Thr3e; Blink; Skin) joins first-time author Healy in this thriller, no less fast-moving than the Christy Award–winning author's solo prose, but also more gripping as it plunges into the life of a woman with frayed and painful family relationships. When a tragic auto accident leaves Shauna McAllister's brother brain-damaged and erases her recent memories, she discovers she has a paranormal ability to steal memories from others, a capability that will either get her killed or unveil hidden sides of the very people she thought she could trust. Against this background, she attempts to uncover the ugly truth about her father's dark secrets and to upend his run for president of the United States. True to Dekker's penchant for twists that keep you guessing till the very last page, Kiss also attempts to return to snappier dialogue and more logical plotting than Skin. A psychological suspense thriller that shines light into black-market child trafficking, Dekker's latest will satisfy Christian fiction lovers who want complex characters and who believe in the stark realities of true good and heinous evil. http://www.thelostkiss.com/buzz