Pages

Saturday, April 02, 2005

More silliness from a mastor pol

Okay, so I published the letter I got from Gil Gutknecht, and I lamented the fact that he didn't comment at all about my crazy idea to ban prescription drug ads from television. My friend, Tristan/Chris commented that he's a politician, and so what did I expect?

Well, T/C, you were right, and the letter that I just received today proves it.

Just a moment ago, my lovely wife stepped into the den and handed me a very heavy envelope from the White House. She wanted to know why I was getting a letter. I guessed it was in response to the letter I sent El Presidente regarding my whacky scheme.

I opened the letter and started reading:

"Dear Reverend Otte:

On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your letter about Medicare. We appreciate learning your views......"

I won't print the rest of the letter. Medicare? What the heck? I didn't say one word in my letter about Medicare. The letter from Marguerite A. Murer, Bush's Acting Director of Presidential Correspondence (which makes me wonder where the real Director of Presidential Correspondence was), goes on to describe the wonderful things the President has done to fix Medicare.

You know, once again, I wouldn't have minded if the President had told me to go jump in a lake because my idea was stupid, ill-informed, and impossible to do. Instead, I learn that politicians, who are supposed to represent me, don't pay any attention to my ideas and only want to talk about themselves.

I know, I know, I know. What do I expect, right? Maybe this is why we have such low voter turnout in this country. Maybe if the freakin' pols would pay attention to what we think and have to say, people would be more interested.

But I suspect that the devil has a better chance of hosting the Winter Olympics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, there's nthing wrong with trying to have a little faith in your government or the people who represent you. After all, faith is your business. It shows you're a less jaded, more patient man than I, and good on ya for that.