Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hero in Hiding

I just got done reading Hero in Hiding, the second novel by Mitchell Bonds.

Cyrus Solburg is back and he's got quite the problem. As the titular hero in hiding, he and his bride, Kris, have to lay low. Voshtyr Demonkin, a malevolent Arch-Villain, has decimated the Heroes Guild and is searching for Cyrus to complete his nefarious P.L.O.T. Device. Cyrus must set out on a new adventure, one that will take him to far-flung corners and teach him new ways to be a hero.

I'm honestly not quite sure what I think of this one. It's an okay story, but the more I consider it, the more I'm unsure what to make of it all. The book is funny, no doubt about it. Bonds gleefully skewers a number of heroic and villainous tropes and there are quite a few laugh-out-loud funny moments as well. But it almost seems as if the plot were kind of scatter shot. It didn't feel as focused as the first book (which I reread before tackling this one).

In terms of theology, well, that's tricky too. While there is a supreme God called "the Creator," there are a number of lesser deities as well. It's a strange pantheon that left me scratching my head more than once. It's not a major concern or anything like that, it just struck me as odd.

I guess I'll have to reserve judgment, though, and see what the third book has to offer.

No comments: