Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF

I'm beginning to see why so many of the books I got for half-off were still available. I spent the past week or so trying to work my way through The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF. According to the editor's introduction, this collection of science fiction short stories was supposed to recapture the sense of wonder that early science fiction inspired in its readers.

It succeeded ... sort of. It inspired wonder. I wondered why I bought this. Lots of stories, some of them mildly interesting, but none really evoking any true sense of awe in me. Well, a little, but not for the right reasons. For example: apparently you can only travel safely through hyperspace if you're Buddhist and have taken LSD. At least a quarter of the stories seemed obsessed with sex in some way, shape or form. And I'd be willing to bet that two of the authors are closet furries.

Oh well. Nothing ventured, right?

1 comment:

Robynn Tolbert said...

I will never, ever buy books off a 2/$5 table again. There is a reason they are there. ;)