Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Sushi for One


I'm usually the one who's late to the party. Or I wind up doing things a little weird.

Take the latest book I read, namely Sushi for One by Camy Tang. I actually read the second book in this series, Only Uni, back in November. In many ways, that served as a gigantic spoiler for me. I knew all about Lex Sakai's trials and tribulations. I knew how her story ended. Not only that, but I had a hard time reconciling Trish's portrayal in this book with what I had read before.

But enough belly-aching from me. Lex Sakai has a major problem. Her meddling grandmother wants her to get a boyfriend and quick! Grandma is so serious, she's threatening to cut the funding to the girls' volleyball team Lex coaches. So Lex starts out on a quest to find the perfect man, based on a list of criteria she gleaned from the book of Ephesians.

But there are plenty of twists and turns on the way, like Lex starting a new job, having to find a place to live, and dealing with a long-buried trauma.

Having read two of her books now, I have to stand in awe of Camy Tang's characterization. She crafts four very different characters in her books and I love all four of them. It's enough to make me keep reading chick lit for a while, and believe me, as a dyed-in-the-wool speculative guy, that's quite the accomplishment.

1 comment:

Camy Tang said...

Ah, John, you totally made my day! Thanks for your review! I am impressed you braved my chick lit books--you are awesome!
Camy