Pages

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

V

"We are of peace. Always."

I mean, seriously, how can you trust a race of aliens who learn the language but not the grammar?

Okay. Ahem. Sorry about that. I'll shift gears into the more serious review mode.

Obviously I watched the premiere of V tonight. In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't watch the original. At least, I don't think I did. I seem to recall walking in on one of my babysitters who was watching it, but I could be mistaken. Who knows?

Anyway, the premise is the same. Alien spaceships drop out of the sky and hover over major cities. The leader of the Visitors, named Anna (played by Morena Baccarin of Firefly fame), assures the surprised and frightened inhabitants of Earth that they popped in to trade with us. We give them water and an unspecified mineral, they give human beings access to technology, such as advanced healing techniques that can deal with 35 different diseases.

Humanity falls all over themselves to welcome the Visitors. Well, almost everyone. There are a few who aren't too pleased, such as FBI agent Erica Evans or Father Jack Landry.

What leaves me scratching my head is that none of the world leaders seem all that suspicious. I mean, really, nobody thought that aliens from outer space might have ulterior motives for the human race, that "unspecified mineral" might be a euphemism for . . . oh, I don't know, soylent green? I mean, I understand that Barack Obama might not question it since the V took care of that whole universal healthcare business . . . Right. That was a cheap shot, sorry. But really? Only a few dozen people are suspicious?

I'm not sure where this will go. I'm not sure I'm totally enamored of it. But hey, I'll keep watching, only to see if the Visitors learn proper grammar.

2 comments:

Nissa Annakindt said...

I don't know if I'll be watching 'V' since in my area they are running it late on Saturday night.

But I don't really have a problem with the plot element that no one is suspicious. After all, a lot of people voted for Barack Obama without being suspicious that the adoring media might be downplaying some of his views....

Peter R Stone said...

Wow, can't believe they've done a remake of V. I remember watching the first one back when I was a teenager. This one certainly features a lot more atmosphere and more believable special FX, from what I saw of that trailer.
Still, I guess history is full of examples of people trusting an aggressor and then regretting it later...