Pages

Friday, November 27, 2009

The Blind Side

My wife and I just got back from seeing The Blind Side. I'd heard semi-good things about the movie (all the way from Oscar-buzz for Sandra Bullock to a relatively indifferent review from Entertainment Weekly).

I wasn't sure what to expect or what I'd wind up thinking about it. But it was slim pickings at the local movie theater (it was basically this or Planet 51; no way am I going to drink the New Moon Kool-Aid, thank you very much). So we took the plunge and, I gotta say, I'm glad that I did.

For those of you who have missed the previews, the story is about a kid from the bad side of Memphis named Michael. He's brought into a private Christian high school but he falls behind academically. When one of his classmates' mothers sees him on the streets, she invites him in and pretty soon, he has become part of the family. She helps him pull his life together and soon, he's the star of the football team with college scouts sniffing all around him.

It's definitely a feel-good movie, but it's one that I think a lot of Christians should go and see. As we left the theater, I mentioned to my wife that there are at least two sermons in this movie, summed up around walking the talk for real, if you know what I mean.

Go see it. And do some serious thinking about the talk we walk.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I totally loved this movie!! I got the message loud and clear! I cried most of the movie but that is typical for me. :)

I am glad you took the chance and enjoyed it and can't wait to hear your views.