Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Cautiously Optimistic about Iraq

Part of my routine on Sunday mornings is to go to the local AM station and do a radio show called "Sounds of Praise." I'm sure I'll write more about this as time goes on. We get our national news from ABC news, and the top story at both 6:00 and 7:00 was the elections in Iraq. Here's a wire story from ABC News about it:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=455144

I have to say, I'm cautiously optimistic. It sounds like voter turnout was pretty decent in most areas. Some places had poor turnout due to insurgent violence and fear of the same, but if most people turned out, that's a good thing.

I think initial reports said that about 32 people had died in insurgent violence also. This may sound a little snide, but that's the price for democracy, something that I think most Americans forget. The only reason why we were able to cast votes last November was because people have shed their blood for our freedom and rights. It's sad that Iraqi civilians had to die. It's sad that American troops have had to die. But hopefully, their sacrifice will be remembered as the foundation for a free and democratic Iraq.

But that's just me.

Okay. Gotta run. Church starts in 35 minutes!

No comments: