Pages

Friday, May 01, 2009

Wolverine

So about an hour ago, I got done watching an afternoon matinee of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And I enjoyed it. I thought the action scenes were great, I thought there was a great deal of humor injected into the dialogue. There aren't any Oscar-worthy performances, but hey, it's a popcorn flick. You normally don't expect to see those in this kind of film.

Now I'm sure that there will be some people who are upset about things. I'm guessing, anyway. I'm no fanboy. My exposure to X-Men is limited to the '90s animated series, the first three movies, and a few comics I've borrowed from my brothers-in-law (although I did once track down a copy of God Loves, Man Kills on e-Bay). So for me, any canon-breaking items really don't matter. I'm vaguely aware of some of the ancilliary characters and who they are in the comics (i.e. Deadpool, the Blob, and so on). Others, I had no clue. Agent Zero? Wraith? Not a clue. Doesn't matter. While there were a few things that I questioned, none of it was related to the characters.

My regular readers will know I'm usually spoiler averse, so I'll keep them out of this review. But I will say this: one bit at the end of the movie surprised me and it really shouldn't. I went into the theater, pretty much sure we were going to see something at the end. But by the time it happened, I had forgotten I was expecting it and so I was pleasantly surprised. For those of you who will see the movie soon, it has something to do with Cyclops. That's all I'm saying.

So go and check this one out. May is promising to be a great movie month for geeks like me. We still have Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation, and even Up! to look forward to. Wolverine got things off to a great start.

No comments: