Pages

Monday, May 28, 2007

On the Lot

You know, I was actually looking forward to the summer so I wouldn't watch so much TV.

But, wouldn't you know it, I had to take a peek at a reality show and now I'm hooked. What am I talking about? Why, On the Lot, of course.

I know it's been done before, but I'm curious to see who the "next great American filmmaker" will turn out to be. So last week, even though we were on vacation, Jill and I watched the premiere episode and we even got to watch the second one as well. We missed one episode in there somewhere (the minute-long scenes they had to film in an hour. Didn't see it).

So tonight we got to watch short comedies by the contestants. Here are my favorites:
  • Andrew Hunt's barfing aliens -- I voted for this one numerous times. Call me a sci-fi junkie if you will, but I thought this was perfect.
  • Zach Lipovsky's accident -- I voted a few times for this as well. Zach should just drop out of the contest now. I mean, the guy has proven he has what it takes and I'd be willing to bet that there's a line of studio executives lining up to snatch this guy up now.
  • Shira-Lee's strip-tease -- Loved this short film. I thought she might have crossed a line but then, when I realized what she was doing, beautiful!
  • Sam's farting cavemen -- I mean, do I need to say anything more than that?

I also loved Adam's dancing man, Mateen's "soft" thief, and although the judges were horrified (and I can see why), I chuckled at Jason's "Getta Rhoom." Sue me. Oh, and Will's lucky penny was great too.

So who do I want to see gone? Easy: Kenny, Hilary, and Claudia. But the greatest of these is Kenny.

I'm sorry, what the heck was that? Off color buildings, over-the-top acting, a shirtless fat man getting whacked in the chest with a pizza? This is comedy? Not only that, but you can tell that Kenny has a big "indie chip" on his shoulder. He may have talent (that's debatable), but he knows he has talent (or, at least, he thinks he does). Not a good combo.

Hilary's pee bus? Not funny. Claudia's blind date? Puh-leeze.

Oh well. Can't wait to see what my boys Andrew and Zach have in store for us next week.

No comments: