Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Not Weepy At All


So Gilmore Girls just ended. I'm not weepy. And I should be.
This is one of those dirty little secrets I probably shouldn't post on the web, but I can get really emotional, especially at the end of things. I thought for sure that when Gilmore Girls wrapped, I would be bawling my eyes out.
Nope. Didn't happen. And I'm not surprised at all.
This season ... no, wait, series finale just is the perfect death rattle for a show that slowly petered out and lost steam over this last year. The writing staff who took over after Amy Sherman-Palladino left should be ashamed of themselves. They took a witty, great show and let it die a slow death.
Now there were some genuinely touching moments. The scene between Rory and Lane felt right. The scene at the party where Richard made his peace with Lorelai was good too. But this just wasn't right.
And I know what they were trying to accomplish by "framing" the whole series with the final shot. Look! It's reminiscent of the first episode! We haven't forgotten! But I highly doubt that the final lines conceived by Sherman-Palladino were, "I guess they'll have to read your stuff." "I guess they will." How hard would it have been to call Amy up and just pay her a couple thousand bucks to find out what the real final lines should have been so it could end right?
Well, farewell, Lorelai and Rory. You deserved a lot better than this.

1 comment:

Hanna said...

I agree! I was so underwhelmed, I actually almost cried from underwhelmedness.