Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dead Reckoning

I met Ronie Kendig through ACFW. Our paths have crossed at the national conference three times now. So I was excited to read her debut novel, Dead Reckoning.

Shiloh Blake is an underwater archaeologist who makes a life-threatening discovery at a dig site in Mumbai, India. The minute she finds it, a member on her team is killed and another is seriously injured. What did she find? Why do people want her dead now? And who is the man following her? Is he a friend? An enemy? How will Shiloh get out of this alive when she doesn't even know who she can trust?

Or hey, maybe you'd rather see the professional book trailer that Ronie put on her Facebook profile recently:



I really enjoyed this book, although I suspect I missed something somewhere along the way. I don't think I really understood the "big pictures" stakes. I understood what Shiloh's motivation was, I could track with Reece Jaxon, the other main character, but I really do think that I missed some explanation of what was going on. It had something to do with nuclear non-proliferation, but beyond that, I wound up "going with the flow." I want to make this clear: the fault lies with me on this one. I'm pretty sure I'm the one who missed something.

I could tell that Ronie has done her research and I really appreciate the evocative detail throughout the book. Plus the action sequences were great and kept me on the edge of my seat.

I've already got my pre-order in for Ronie's next book, Nightshade, and I'm looking forward to its arrival.

1 comment:

Ronie Kendig said...

My dear friend--thank you for an honest review. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your honest critique and your praise. You humble me! Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Is it bad form to say I think Nightshade is better? LOL In all honesty, there was roughly two years worth of writing growth between the two books, even though they're releasing only four months apart.

Please--be sure to review Nightshade and let me know your thoughts, okay?