Pages

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Fanboys


I have not laughed this hard in a long time. Seriously. And I have Fanboys to thank for it.

Maybe you haven't heard of this movie. I don't think it got that wide of a release. More's the pity. Such a good movie.

The story is set six months before The Phantom Menace was released. A group of childhood friends, Star Wars fans all, set out on the ultimate adventure. They are going to break into the Skywalker Ranch and steal a copy of The Phantom Menace because one of their friends has terminal cancer. So they set out from Ohio, crossing the country and getting into one misadventure after another.

Great premise, right? I hadn't seen it, but I had heard really great things about it, so much so that I bought it pretty much sight unseen.

Well, not completely unseen. I did find this on YouTube (I'd love to actually post the video, but embedding is disabled for it). After watching that, I decided I had to risk it. I bit the bullet, bought the DVD, and tonight, I finally got the chance to watch it.

And I loved it. There's a lot of crude humor in it, but there's even more nerd and geek references, great nods to the original Star Wars trilogy. The many, many cameos were tremendous. And the last line of the movie? Icing on the cake.

It may not be cool to admit it, but I'm a fanboy. Have been for years. This is a great "love letter" to guys like me.

No comments: