Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2005

What's with the astrological garbage?

You know, before I leave, I looked over my profile. You know, I wanted to see what else I could add to it, take away from it. I probably could add a lot more books and such to my favorite books thing. I also wonder why they don't have any favorite TV categories or stuff like that.

But that's not what got my attention. They list my astrological sign as "aries." Which is true, I guess. I'm not disputing that I was born in the month-long period that is supposedly ruled by a collection of random stars in the night sky.

What I'm wondering is this: Why did they include that in my profile? I don't want it there. I don't take any stock in astrological signs or the zodiac mumbo-jumbo or anything like that at all. Why include it automatically? Or is it just me?

Listen, folks, astrology is a joke. I mean, humans have this natural tendency to find patterns where none exist. That's why people see the Virgin Mary in window reflections or Elvis in the mold on the underside of their refridgerator. Some ancient guy a long time ago looked at the night sky, saw this and decided it looked like a ram. Personally, I don't think it looks like a ram at all. More like a ... boomerang. Or a scythe maybe. Not the point, though.

So why does this collection of stars have anything to do with me? Not a blessed thing, as far as I'm concerned. Those stars don't do anything for me. I don't buy into that astrological nonsense, and I'm a little cheesed that it's automatically included in my profile.

But then ... I am a type B personality. Whatever. Just remember, if you look at my profile, that ain't my deal.

No comments: