Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Law of Superheroes

If you haven't guess by now, I'm a colossal geek. That applies to my recreation choices (mostly videogames), the TV shows I watch, and the movies that I gravitate towards. And that also includes my interest in all things superhero. Believe it or not, I'm not a big comic book reader. I've got a passing familiarity with the Marvel and DC universes and I'll certainly check out some series and titles from time to time. But, as evidenced by my debut novel, I still have a great love for masks and capes. That's part of what attracted me to the book The Law of Superheroes.

James Daily and Ryan Davidson are both comic book fans and lawyers, and they spend the better part of this book seeing how the two worlds might possibly intersect. For example, let's say that a masked hero captures a criminal. Could the hero testify in court while disguised? Could a hero sue someone for revealing his or her secret identity? If a battle between superheroes and villains wrecks a big part of a city, will insurance pay for the damages? Daily and Davidson seek to answer all of those questions and more.

Where was this book when I needed it? When I was writing Failstate, I puzzled over a lot of these questions and I didn't feel comfortable contacting a lawyer to ask my questions. Here we have a great resource for geeks and comic book fans that not only answers those questions, but does so in a way that you can learn a lot about the legal system. In short, it's an excellent book that helped me learn quite a bit. I highly recommend it.

No comments: