Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Superman/Batman Apocalypse

Oh, I love my Netflix account right now. I just got done streaming Superman/Batman Apocalypse to my computer and I had some fun with this one.

A surprise arrives in Gotham City in the form of Kara, Superman's cousin. Superman trusts her almost immediately whereas Batman is a bit unsure of why she would show up at that particular moment. This causes problems as they try to find a place for Kara to fit in. She grows sick of the Fortress of Solitude. She can't quite control her powers, so Metropolis is out. It seems that Wonder Woman has to step in and bring her to Paradise Island.

Only the triumvirate of heroes aren't the only ones with designs on the newest Kryptonian on Earth. No, Darkseid of Apokolips has designs for Kara as well, one that could destroy the Man of Steel.

Storywise, this one was kind of all over the place. At first, I thought that they were going for a sort of origin story thing, what with Kara's arrival on Earth as the opening act. But no, you have to be at least somewhat cognizant of the larger DC universe to totally get this movie. I mean, you should have a somewhat passing familiarity with Darkseid and his minions. I mean, I'm all for appearances by Granny Goodness and Big Barda, but even I was left scratching my head about some chick named Harbinger (who bore such a striking resemblance to Supergirl, I thought she was Supergirl when she first appeared).

That being said, this turned out into a fun romp. I was just a touch disappointed at what I thought was supposed to be the "big battle" at the end of the movie (although Batman's gambit rocked), but then when . . . you know what? Spoilers. Never mind. Let's just say that they had a great surprise waiting for me that kept me smiling the whole time.

The voice actors, as usual, were quite good. I mean, you can't go wrong with Tim Daly as Superman and Kevin Conroy as Batman. Honestly. But Summer Glau as Supergirl? And Ed Asner as Granny Goodness? Wow. Inspired choices.

In terms of animation, you can't fault this movie. At least, I enjoyed it.

So definitely see this if you're a comic book geek. But like I said, better do some research on Darkseid, especially if you think I misspelled that.

No comments: