Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wordcount Wednesday

Well, it's been an interesting writing week for me. Really interesting.

For starters, I finished my swing through Numb. Lots of tuning up plus I cut about half a chapter due to some inconsistencies that would cause trouble for my story. So even though I added a new chapter a week ago, I'm still hovering right around where I should be. As of right now, Numb is clocking in at 80,483 words.

But one of my writing colleagues sent me some "bad" news. Apparently in the coming months, another book is coming out with the title Numb with a somewhat similar protagonist. Only mine doesn't have a circus in it and apparently that one does.

That probably means that I'll be trying to come up with a different title soon. I'm kind of miffed about that. "Numb" is one of the best titles I've ever come up with for a book. It describes Crusader, my protagonist, perfectly. Oh well. I know people can't copyright titles, so maybe I'll be able to keep it. We'll just have to wait and see.

But that's not the only thing that's come up in the previous week. I was hit with a blast from the past. I had to dust off [--TITLE REDACTED--], a Christian sci fi novel that I've been working on, off and on, for the past nine years. This could probably best be described as "the book of my heart." Even when I'm working on other writing projects, my mind keeps drifting back to it.

I'm not going to go into why I dusted this off. Not yet, anyway. I'll just say this: an interesting opportunity has presented itself, one that I'm getting pretty excited about.

But like I said, I'm not sure I can say much about it at this point, especially since I have some soul searching to do, some hard decisions to make.

So there you go. An interesting week, writing wise. I can't wait until I can share more.

No comments: