Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Twilight



I just don't get the hype.

Maybe it's because I'm the wrong gender and twice as old as Stephanie Meyer's target audience, but I just don't understand why people are so excited about Twilight.

Part of the problem is the slow start with Bella wondering who Edward is. Duh, he's a vampire. Says so on the back of the book. Maybe the original edition didn't include the tripartite dilemma Bella faces, but the one I read did. As a result, I was getting more and more frustrated as I waited for Bella to figure it all out.

A major problem with the book is craft. I kept running over point-of-view problems as well as poorly crafted sentences. The story itself was interesting. Meyer certainly reworked the vampire lore in an interesting way. And she set up the dilemmas that Bella and Edward will face in the rest of the books well. But to me, the story didn't get interesting or exciting until I was 300 pages in.

Again, it might be a gender or age issue, but this wasn't for me. Clearly.

On the plus side, this did make me hungry (or thirsty?) for John Olson's upcoming book, Shade.

No comments: