Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Musings on NaNoWriMo

So earlier this morning, I crossed the 40,000 word mark on my NaNoWriMo novel. That felt pretty good, so I thought I'd stop and share some thoughts about this whole experience.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to sell this book or not. It's a convoluted mess right now. I've already mentally highlighted half a dozen places I'll need to go back and shore up. Or I may just have to put the perfect finishing touch to this story when I'm done. Namely a match.

At the same time, though, I've learned some things about myself and my writing:

1) I needed the structure and the deadline. I've been very lacksadaisical about my writing for the past year. I'd type in a few words every now and then if I felt like it and usually, I found myself playing World of Warcraft or some other computer game rather than writing. But now, thanks to NaNoWriMo, I've been forcing myself to get up earlier and start the day by writing at least 1,500 words. It's a good discipline that I'm hoping to carry past just this one month.

2) I really, really, really need help on crafting good characters. One of the critiques that I got regarding The Leader's Song was that I needed stronger characters. Writing this novel has made me realize how true that is. I bought a book recently that hopefully will help, but if anyone has any ideas on how a plot-oriented writer like me can learn how to make fresh and vivid characters, please let me know!

You know, I know I learned more than that. Huh. Oh well. At any rate, even with taking two (maybe three) days off for Thanksgiving, I should be able to hit the finish line by the end of the month. I don't think the book will be done yet, but at least I've benefited from this experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On characters ... try Brandilyn Collins's and Orson Scott Card's books on the subject. I tend to be character-driven, but Brandilyn's book was very helpful to me.